PuMP® Blueprint Workshops for 2013
Your struggles with performance measurement are caused by bad habits you don’t know you have!
Most people – whether executives, managers, strategy or performance professionals, or analysts – struggle to do measurement well.
Most people struggle to:
- easily find meaningful measures
- get true buy-in to performance measurement
- strongly align measures to strategy
- use measures to drive improvement to reach targets
Our KPI struggles are due to some bad habits that, in the absence of a proper performance measurement methodology, have become common practice.
Put your KPI struggles behind you!
Some of the bad performance measurement habits that have become common practice are:
- brainstorming KPIs and measures
- writing objectives and goals with words like effective, efficient, sustainable, reliable, quality…
- ‘consulting’ people in developing measures
- interpreting performance by comparing this month to last month
If you want performance measures that really do dramatically improve performance, you have to unlearn these bad habits. The PuMP® Blueprint Workshop helps you do that. It will give you powerful new habits that will rock your world, as it has done for hundreds of people in the last 6 years.
Is the PuMP® Blueprint for you?
The PuMP® Blueprint Workshop is a rigorous and practical methodology that details how to:
- clearly communicate goals to your team so they truly understand what they are contributing to
- generate lots of buy-in and excitement in your team for measuring and improving performance
- create useful and meaningful measures of performance, that people actually use and value
- make lasting improvements in performance rather than putting Band-Aids on symptoms
- get tight alignment of measures to strategy, and not waste effort on irrelevant measures
- measure those intangible goals that are too important to track with trivial counts or milestones
- streamline your measurement and reporting process to reduce cost and effort and cycle time
By learning the PuMP® Blueprint, you get everything you need to create measures that transform your organisation’s performance.
We want you to get at least a 10-fold return on your investment in PuMP® within 6 months following the workshop. You can. And that’s just the start!
What will you learn?
The PuMP® Performance Measure Blueprint Workshop is a framework to redesign your performance measurement process.
- make your strategy measurable and easier to communicate and cascade
- select and design performance measures that are far more meaningful than brainstorming or benchmarking ever can produce
- get buy-in from staff and stakeholders to enthusiastically own performance measurement and improvement
- bring your measures to life in a consistent way, using the right data and with the right ownership
- design insightful and actionable reports and dashboards that focus discussion on improvement
- clearly see the real signals from your measures about whether performance is improving or not
- convincingly hit your performance targets, and make measurement about transformation, not about blame or covering your butt!
You walk away with can-do, not just know-how…
Because this workshop is so practical, you’ll head back to work with all the knowledge, tools, experience and inspiration you need to put what you learn into immediate and successful practice.
The resources we give you are there to support your implementation, not just your learning:
- A comprehensive workshop reference manual includes templates, examples, worksheets and checklists to help you apply what you learn throughout the workshop.
- A case study demonstrating the full application of the PuMP® techniques, to model and inspire.
- A CD of all the time-saving templates and tools to use with your colleagues as you involve them in performance measurement activities.
- A bonus free membership in the online PuMP® Community, filled with extra resources to help you implement PuMP® and implement it well.
Earn PuMP® Certification
The PuMP® Performance Measure Blueprint is certified by the George Washington University College of Professional Studies and the Balanced Scorecard Institute.
PuMP® Certification demonstrates your ability to develop performance measures that are meaningful, aligned to strategy, implemented efficiently and focused on driving performance improvement.
After completing the workshop, you can opt to take the PuMP® Certification exam, online. You’ll have a one hour time limit to answer 40 questions, and you’ll get your score immediately. A score of 75% is needed to pass. We will send out your official certificate within 6 weeks of your passing the exam.
Learn directly from the creator of PuMP®…
Stacey Barr, the Performance Measure Specialist, is the creator of the PuMP® methodology.
She has specialised in organisational performance measurement since 1993, and this workshop is the culmination of all her most practical learning and innovations since then.
Stacey is known for her high level of practicality, her interactive teaching style, and her innate ability to balance the technical and social sides of performance measurement.
Stacey will be your presenter for all our public PuMP® Blueprint workshops, except those held in the United States. The Balanced Scorecard Institute’s measurement expert and licensed PuMP® Consultant, David Wilsey, will be leading PuMP® Blueprint workshops in the United States.
The 2-day Workshop Program:
Both days start promptly at 9am and will finish by 5pm. Over our 2 days together, we will be working through each step in the PuMP® methodology, understanding its purpose, how it works, looking at a case study and giving you time to practice using it to measure your own goals:
Introduction – Performance measurement is a process, not an event.
We discuss the problems with performance measurement and how to solve them by thinking about performance measurement as a process.
STEP 1: PuMP Diagnostic – Fixing the focus firmly on continuous improvement.
We start off on the right foot with the PuMP® Diagnostic to help your Measures Team understand what good measurement means, and how to do it properly to avoid the most common struggles and problems.
STEP 2: Results Mapping – Making the strategy clear, focused and measurable.
We explore why it’s so hard to measure the right things, how to know if a strategy (i.e. your goals, objectives or priorities) is measurable enough, and how the PuMP® Results Mapping technique can make strategy measurable.
STEP 3: Measure Design – Choosing meaningful measures that evidence results.
We review the traditional approaches people take to selecting measures and why they fail, and then see how the PuMP® Measure Design technique produces measures that are meaningful, relevant, cost-effective and easy for people to buy-in to.
STEP 4: Measure Gallery – Organically building buy-in beyond the team.
There are some very specific reasons why people don’t buy in to performance measures which we will explore, and we’ll see how the PuMP® Measure Gallery technique can build buy-in and generate excitement for performance measurement.
STEP 5: Measure Definitions – Defining and documenting how to implement the measures.
We talk about the causes behind why so many measures are never brought to life (i.e. never get reported or used) and how the PuMP® Measure Definition technique is so useful for specifying exactly how each measure should be implemented.
STEP 6: Performance Reporting – Creating useful & usable performance reports that inspire action.
We’ll look at why typical performance reports are next to useless, and discover how the PuMP® Report Design technique quicky and easily produces performance reports that answer the 3 questions every performance report should answer.
STEP 7: Measure Intpretation – Responding to true signals in the measures.
It’s so easy to misinterpret performance measure signals, and frighteningly, most people do. So we’ll follow the PuMP® Measure Interpretation technique to make interpretation of performance measures easier, valid and incredibly insightful.
STEP 8: Using Measures – Improving business processes to improve performance.
The role of performance measures is to improve performance more easily, quickly and economically. The PuMP® Using Measures technique shows how to use performance measures to get the highest leverage improvements.
Close – Preparing for a successful PuMP® implementation.
Should you come to the PuMP® Blueprint Workshop?
Executives, managers and other leaders set the direction and encourage the engagement of their staff in measuring and improving the right things. But they also need to be involved at the start, in setting measurable goals and designing meaningful measures. And they are also involved at the end, in interpreting and using the performance measures to prioritise improvement initiatives.
|“Stacey, the workshop that you ran was revelational – truly. Simply put, the single most important question that I took away with me was a question you asked of me on the second morning: ‘What do you define as success for the organisation?’ Well I’ve got to say that question took me about two or three days to answer properly. As a result, it’s strengthened the focus in our organisation about what matters most.” — Todd MacDougall, CEO, Corcom|
Strategic Planning and Performance Measurement Officers facilitate the entire process of creating, implementing and using more meaningful performance measures for managers and staff throughout your company or organisation. They will ultimately become the masters of performance measurement, and custodians of the corporate-wide performance measurement system.
|“The BSC Institute just this morning informed me that they have awarded Douglas County the 2011 Award for Excellence and so much of that recognition goes to you Stacey for being my “measure mentor” for the past year plus from your self-study to last November’s PuMP® in San Francisco… I cannot tell you how many times I bring people back to your measure design model and see it work time and time again.” — Jerry Stigall, Director, Organization Development, Strategy, & Policy, Douglas County Government|
Business Analysts and Reporting Officers work within specific steps of the performance measurement process, collating and analysing data and presenting performance information in reports. They need easy-to-follow measurement techniques that simplify what has become a very cumbersome and thankless task. They find it useful to see the end-to-end measurement process to appreciate the role they play in implementing a standardised measurement approach corporate-wide.
|“Before I attended the workshop, I was reacting to requests for performance reports… With the knowledge that I have gained, I have created a report suite that shows our performance clearly at all levels of management and also at the process level. These reports are now used widely throughout the branch by the extended management team and in other areas of the company. The knowledge that I have gained though the workshop has enabled me to grow into my role as a performance measurement champion…” — Fiona Issel, Senior Distribution Design Support Officer, Western Power|
Project Managers, Performance Improvement Officers and Consultants use performance measurement in their day to day client work or improvement projects. They want simpler steps to save time and angst in deciding what to measure, getting the data and reporting it without fuss.
|“So far this training has met and exceeded my expectations! I am a program evaluator by training and specialize in data visualization. I learned about Stacey from Stephen Few at a training of his last year and am so glad that he referred me to you. This process will enhance the work I am doing right now with my clients and help them better measure their social sector organizations’ impact.” — Veronica Smith, MSEE, Managing Director, data2insight (www.data2insight.com)|
Our 2013 PuMP® Blueprint Workshop Program:
Our scheduled locations for the workshops this year are as follows. We may add additional workshops in line with demand, so let us know where you’d like a workshop.
- Melbourne, Australia, May 22 & 23, 2013 at the Bayview Eden Hotel
- Brisbane, Australia, June 19 & 20, 2013 at the Treasury Hotel
- Sydney, Australia, August 28 & 29, 2013 at the Sir Stamford Circular Quay Hotel
- Canberra, Australia, November 20 & 21, 2013 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel
- London, UK, December 11 & 12, 2013 – venue TBA (registration will open later in 2013)
- Our US workshops are now run by the Balanced Scorecard Institute. Registration will open soon. For locations and dates, visit: balancedscorecard.org
What to expect at the workshop…
You can be confident we’ll take care of you at the workshop:
- We are limiting the workshops to a maximum of 20 participants to ensure you get quality learning.
- Shortly after you register for the workshop, you’ll receive an email detailing how to prepare, what to bring, and also a link to an audio where Stacey explains more about what you’ll learn.
- The 2-day workshop starts promptly at 9am, so we recommend you arrive by 8:45 at the latest, to give us time to welcome you and help you settle in. We’ll be finishing by 5pm on both days.
- With a maximum of 20 registrants in each workshop, the atmosphere is casual, friendly and interactive.
- You’ll get a little one-on-one coaching from Stacey during the implementation activities.
- Each day we’ll provide you with coffee and tea on arrival, healthy and decadent snacks and a delicious lunch (and will cater for your dietary requirements).
Here’s how to register:
Following are the fees for the 2013 PuMP® Performance Measure Blueprint Workshops. All amounts are in AUD (Aussies, add 10% GST to these amounts).
For currency conversions, we use x-rates.com.
- Full fee: $2200AUD per person ($2420 with GST)
- Early Bird save 10%: $1980AUD per person ($2178 with GST)
- Group bookings save 10% (2 or more people from the same organisation in the same booking): $1980AUD per person ($2178 with GST)
Hundreds of people have attended this workshop, and over 92% have rated the overall value as 8 or higher out of 10.
Please note: A condition of registering for this event is your agreement to the terms & conditions.
OPTION 1: Register securely online
with your credit card or PayPal:
Our US workshops are now run
Registration opening soon:
London, UK, December 11 & 12, 2013
OPTION 2: Register by fax or email
with our fax-back form:
Do you have any questions?
If you have any questions at all about the Performance Measure Blueprint Workshop, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond within 24 hours (usually much faster).
the Performance Measure Specialist
Terms and Conditions of Registering for the PuMP® Performance Measure Blueprint Workshop
If during the workshop you decide to withdraw from it, and wish to obtain your money-back guarantee, you must do so either at the workshop, or in writing within 3 months of your attendance at the workshop.
You may make substitutions at any time prior to the workshop. Cancellations and transfers to a future course will incur a $198 service fee per registrant. Registered participants who do not attend the workshop or who cancel less than 2 weeks prior to the workshop either forfeit the workshop fee or can transfer to a subsequent workshop (one transfer only).
Stacey Barr reserves the right to alter dates and/or times of the workshop if registration criteria are not met or if conditions beyond her control occur. All efforts will be made to contact each registrant if changes occur. If the program is not held for any reason, Stacey’s liability is limited to the workshop fee only.
* Early Bird Rate
To qualify for the Early Bird rate we must receive your registration and payment on or before the Early Bird dates listed to the right, with the workshop locations. We want to be fair to everyone!
** Group Bookings
The group discount is available only for 2 or more people from the same organisation in the same booking.
Certification and training in PuMP® is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any other use of the PuMP® methodology requires permission from Stacey Barr.
The currency converter link provided is for a website that has no relationship whatsoever with Stacey Barr Pty Ltd. It is provided simply for your convenience only and we cannot certify nor be held accountable for its accuracy.